Re: netcdf Fortran interface

Forgot to CC: support-netcdf on this reply ...

To: address@hidden (Peter W. Morreale, SCD Consulting)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 09:41:25 -0700
From: Russ Rew <russ@buddy>

Hi Pete,

> I'm attempting to build a flint (Fortran syntax checker) interface to the
> netcdf library.  Since netcdf is written in C, I have to build a flint
> information file by hand.  Among other things, flint does global argument
> checking for library routines it knows about.  The problem is that the man
> page to the library doesn't seem to tell me if an argument is input or
> output.

Check out "Appendix B:  Summary of FORTRAN Interface" on page 173 of
the netCDF User's Guide, where all the information you request is available
on one page:

    Input parameters are in upper case, output parameters are in lower
    case. The FORTRAN types of all the parameters are listed below the
    subroutine and function declarations.

I agree that this information should be in the man page documentation as
well, so I've put that on our list of things to fix.

> In addition, our current man page is missing a description of the VDIMS
> argument to the NCVDEF() (and others) function.

Thanks for reporting this bug.  We'll look into it and fix it.
Incidentally, if you want a way to look at the User's Guide on-line that's
easy on the eyes and supports hypertext links, use Mosaic to open the
(experimental) HTML version by opening the URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/netcdf/guide.txn_toc.html

--Russ