Re: help (netCDF)

Hi Peter,

>       Days ago, I contacted you for helping me to build up NETCDF on my
> PC.   After I got your reply, I followed the instruction you provided to
> re-configure NETCDF on my PC, but failed again.  Then I send an E-mail to
> Frank Dzaak (address@hidden) and request for help.  Frank send a back
> a Library.  Since I am quite layman in term of using NETCDF, I simply do
> not know how to usr Frank's library (netcdf.a, attached herein).  I think
> that many new-use , just like
> me, might have the same problems.

If he sent you the library in the form you attached it, as a MIME attachment
with

then you will have to convert it to binary using some MIME tool.  From what
you sent, I can't tell how to decode it into a binary library on LINUX.  If
you could get it decoded into a library file named
"/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a", for example, you could then just include

    -L/usr/local/lib -l netcdf

on your f77 or gcc link lines and the netCDF library routines would be
found.

Also, some of Dzaak's changes had to do with the Fortran interface to
netCDF.  If you can get by with only the C interface, it's easier to build
on LINUX.  To build it without the Fortran interface, you need to follow
the directions in the INSTALL file, setting the FC macro to "".

>                                    Besides, as linux become more and more
> popular on PC, many persons might also want tp setup a copy of NETCDF on
> their machines.  So, why do you build up a pre-configured linux-version of
> NETCDF, and put on the address of unidata.ucar.edu.   In this way, it may
> sort out many troubles during the process of setup. Not only help that
> me, but will benefit many peoples.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Currently we don't have access to a LINUX
platform for porting, so we can't build or test the netCDF library on LINUX.
We depend on LINUX users in the community to help us with that and other
platforms we don't have, by testing each new release and giving us any
changes that need to be made.

We intend that the next version of netCDF (version 2.4) will build on LINUX
with no modifications required to the source.  We have already incorporated
Frank Dzaak's modifications into our development sources, and we will try to
get a netCDF 2.4 beta tester for LINUX, to make sure LINUX is a supported
platform.

If you can wait until netCDF 2.4 is released (sometime in the next month, we
hope), it should work with less trouble on LINUX.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu