Re: 950726: netCDF IRIX 5.3

Hi Edwin,

>   I'm installing the netCDF software, and I need help to modify the
> Makefile. When I did the "make install" command the following occured:
>
> qualibou 166# make install
>         /sbin/install -f    netcdf.inc /home2/apps/include/netcdf.inc
> /sbin/install: can't create netcdf.inc/home2/apps/include/netcdf.inc: Not a
> directory.
> *** Error code 20 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> qualibou 167#
>
> Then I check the man pages and I found that the IRIX5.3 doesn't have the -c
> option and I changed
> it for the -f, but now I need to change the previous syntax to the following:
>
> Previous syntax: /sbin/install -c -m 664 netcdf.inc
> /home2/apps/include/netcdf.inc
>
> Correct syntax: /sbin/install -f /home2/apps/include -m664 netcdf.inc
>

> How can I do that?

Here's how you can get around the install problem on the SGI, from our
Frequently Asked Questions list at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

   14. How can I build netCDF for SGI under IRIX 5.x?

       We tested the netCDF installation on IRIX 4.0 which used a BSD-style
       install, but with IRIX 5.2, the flags on the install utility
       changed. To get around this, you need to define the INSTALL
       configuration variable before building netCDF from the source
       distribution.  How to do this is explained in the installation
       documents. INSTALL should be defined as

            /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

       which, according to the IRIX 5.2 man pages is an install that uses
       BSD-style arguments.  Then rerun the configure script and redo the
       make all.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu