Re: 950725: help (netCDF)

Hi Peter,

>         I tried to set GMT on my Pentium-PC with a LINUX (version 1.2x).
> So, I downloaded a copy of netcdf-232pl4.tar.Z from unidata.ucar.edu.
> Apparently, I did not get the job done.  WHen I configured NETCDF, following
> message appeared on screen:
>
>  " ./configure: the following variables need values.
>
>      variables           meaning            example
>
>       OS             Operating System        sunos   "
>

>       Given these clues, could you tell me if NETCDF is applicable on PC
> with
> LINUX? If it should work,  give me some instructions to configure netcdf
> on my PC.

It has been ported to LINUX, and we've added information on how to build
netCDF on LINUX to our Frequently Asked Questions list at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

 16. How can I build netCDF under Linux?

     Frank Dzaak (address@hidden) reports the following changes to the
     current version are sufficient:

     1. Before running configure, set OS=linux in your environment or in
        Makefile.in.

     2. For a FORTRAN interface, copy fortran/sunos.m4 to fortran/linux.m4
        and in that file change the name Sun to Linux with

                     define(`M4__SYSTEM', Linux)

     3. Copy the definition of the "STREQ" macro from ncgen/ncgenyy.c to
        ncgen/ncgentab.c.

     These are reported to work for Linux kernel 1.0.9, CC=gcc(2.5.8),
     F77=f2c, LEX=flex, YACC=bison.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu