Re: 950728: Problems installing netcdf software

Hi Pietro,

>       my name is Pietro and I need to install netcdf in order to install GMT
> 3.0. I read the installation instructions but I got this error message:
>
> root@ocean /usr/local/netcdf-2.3.2# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf
>
> reading configuration customizations
> checking for type of operating system
> cc: a:  not found.
> cc: a:  not found.
> cc: a:  not found.

We've never seen this error before.  The "configure" script in netcdf-2.3.2
runs fine with no errors on our IBM Risc/6000 AIX system.  In order to help
us diagnose the problem, would you please send us the output from running
the command

    uname -a

(For example, we get the single line "AIX imogene 1 4 000109423500").

Then please send the output (which will be large) from running the
command

    sh -x configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf

In order to capture the output from this command in a file named `c.out',
for example, you would use

    sh -x configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf >& c.out

if you use csh, or

    sh -x configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf > c.out 2>&1

if you use sh or ksh for your shell.

We can probably figure out what is going wrong from the first 100 lines of
the resulting c.out file and recommend a workaround.

Also, please be sure you have no local alias for "cc" set before you try to
run the `configure' script, or if you do, please tell us what the alias is.
Thanks.

> After this error message i tryed to run make all and I got this error message:

Make won't work until the `configure' script runs correctly, because the
`configure' script generates all the necessary Makefiles.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu