950710: Running net CDF

>From: Dave Kicklighter <address@hidden>

David,

>  I've downloaded and installed the netCDF software onto a Silicon
>Graphics Indigo2 with "Extreme Graphics".  The operating system is IRIX 5.3.
>The installation and testing seemed to be okay, but I don't know how to
>access the netCDF libraries for the examples or my own programs.  Is
>there a "setenv" I need to place in my .cshrc file so programs can find
>the library?  I've installed the program under /usr/local.

The netCDF library, libnetcdf.a, is not a sharable library, but, rather, a
static one.  You must link against this library (which is typically installed
in the netcdf/lib directory) when you develop your programs.  Without
going into how to develop routines, I can tell you that you would typically
add an -I and -L flag to your makefile so that the compiler and linker
can find the netCDF include file, netcdf.h, and library, libnetcdf.a,
respectively.

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 10 14: 36:07 1995
>  Thanks for the info.  I was able to successfully compile the example.c
>file from the c++ subdirectory created from the "netcdf.tar" file.  Now,
>I'll try out some of my own programs.

>David Kicklighter
>The Ecosystems Center
>Marine Biological Laboratory