Re: 950505: install netcdf

Hi John,

>         I desperately need your help about the install of your netcdf
> package in our Sun station. I am currently visiting France from Australia
> and plan to do some research in the South Indian Ocean. I need to use a
> CSIRO made computer program to do the work but that program uses some of
> your netcdf subroutines. Therefore, I have to install your netcdf in the
> Sun station here in France, but unfortunately, they don't have special
> computer person to do this (I don't know how to install your netcdf
> myself). They have a computing lady who tried to install it. However, it
> seems to me she didn't do it correctly, because it is obviously not
> working. Could you please come to our Sun station and have a look and help
> to install it properly. You can login by typing 192.134.152.99, login, ***
> lady installed your netcdf there. Please give a help. I very much
> appreciate.

OK, it is installed in /usr/local/NETCDF/, where lib/, bin/, and man/
directories now contain the library, executables, and documentation.

I tried installing it in the directory you had already untarred, but there
was something wrong with the directory permissions that prevented me from
creating files in subdirectories.  So I just ran the following commands to
untar a new copy, make it, test it, and install it:

  % cd /usr/local/NETCDF
  % tar xf netcdf.tar
  % cd netcdf-232pl2
  % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/NETCDF
  % make all test install

and everything seemed to work fine.  Changing the value of "prefix" above
will cause it to be installed somewhere else than /usr/local/NETCDF.

I left the old untarred copy in /usr/local/NETCDF/netcdf-232pl2-, so you
should probably delete that when you determine things are working OK.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu