Re: 950104: problems

Hi Kenzu,

> I obtained the netcdf.tar file from your system and I am trying to install
> it on my system here which is IBM RS-6000 AIX 3.2. When I try to apply the
> make test command I get the error
>      ncattget: attribute "TITLE" not found
>      Assertion failed: file cdftest.c, line 393.
> Could you please let me know where I might have gone wrong. Thank you
> very much.

You did nothing wrong, the problem seems to be an optimization bug in the
AIX C compiler.  Here's a workaround taken from the netCDF Frequently Asked
Questions list at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html.

12. Is there a problem with building netCDF under AIX 3.2?

     We have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of AIX
     3.2. The default for our configure script is to specify optimization by
     using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the netCDF library to be
     built incorrectly under AIX 3.2, with the symptom that "make test" will
     fail even though there are no compile or link errors when building from
     source.

     A workaround is to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or "-g")
     explicitly, by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or "-g"
     before invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods
     suggested in the INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for
     compilation.

     The specific file that is incorrectly compiled with "-O" is
     libsrc/string.c, so another workaround is to recompile that file
     without "-O".

     Delete the ncgen and ncdump executables before rebuilding, so they will
     get rebuilt using the new library.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000