[no subject]

Hi,

>   I am looking for tools which can be used to display netcdf data.  This
> tool should have the following features:
>
>   1. It can be run on HP workstations with operating system HP-UX.
>
>   2. It provides map background with different map projections, at least
>      Polar Sterographic projection.
>
>   3. It is X window based.
>
>   4. Better if it is free, but if not, it is also fine.
>
>   If you know any of them, would you please let me know and tell me
>   where to find them.

One tool for this sort of display of netCDF data is the IDL-based ncbrowse
package, available as user-contributed software from

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/ncbrowse.pro

To use it, you would also need to have IDL installed on your HP platform.
IDL is a commercial scientific data visualization and analysis package.
It's possible to get a limited-time free trial license for IDL so that you
can evaluate its use with ncbrowse.pro or its built-in netCDF access.  For
more details, see

    http://sslab.colorado.edu:2222/projects/IDL/idl_ssl_home.html

Another possibility is IBM's Visualization Data Explorer package, which is
also capable of plotting data on maps, and for which a trial license is also
available.  For more details, see

    http://www-i.almaden.ibm.com/dx/

Other visualization packages that work with netCDF data are available, and
some of them are capable of plotting the data on maps if the data follows
the conventions expected of the visualization package for georeferencing.
For examples, see the descriptions of netCDF utility software in

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/utilitities.html

I try to keep this list up-to-date, but if you learn of additional software
not included in this list, I would appreciate it if you would pass the
information on to me so that I can update the list.  Thanks.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000