Re: libraries

Hi Keith,

> Thanx for your reply. I have 2 questions or comments.
>
> I had to get someone else to uncompress and untar the
> netcdf.tar.Z file (actually netcdf-2.3.2pl2.tar.Z) and he
> encountered an error on a file that said it was not a file.
> I think the name was netcdf-2.3.2pl2.tar. Is this where
> the source is?

netcdf.tar.Z is a symbolic link to netcdf-2.3.2pl2.tar.Z, so they are just
two names for the same file.  When you untar the file, it tries to create a
subdirectory named "netcdf-2.3.2pl2".  This might be a problem on a non-UNIX
system if this is an invalid name for a directory.  If this is the problem,
see if your tar has some option to change such names, or untar it onto a
UNIX system and change the directory name there before copying it into the
non-Unix system.  Using this name was an oversight on our part, since we
didn't mean to create such problems for non-UNIX systems.  When I get time,
I'll remake the tar file so that the top-level directory is named
"netcdf-232pl2" instead.

> Also, I don't know what is or how to get to:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

That's an example of a URL (Uniform Resource Locator), and is the
recommended way to refer to WWW (World Wide Web) documents that can be
viewed with NCSA Mosaic, lynx, or other WWW client programs.  Sorry I didn't
make this clear; I sometimes incorrectly assume everyone is now using Mosaic
to access network information instead of FTP, telnet, and gopher, since it
subsumes all these older interfaces.  Mosaic is a great interface to
information on the Internet, and the program is freely available from NCSA.
We've converted all our netCDF documentation and information files to a form
that can be viewed by Mosaic (or other WWW clients), because the resulting
hyper text documents are more useful and readable in that form than plain
text.

We still make the documents and information available in text form also; in
particular, the list of netCDF Frequently Asked Questions is a useful
document that is available via anonymous FTP from pub/netcdf/FAQ on the host
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000