Re: linux port of netcdf

Hi David,

> Well I'm up to wierd things again.  I finally found the thing that was
> keeping ncgen from running on linux.  In ncgen.y you have defined a function
>
> int
> yywrap()
> {
>   return(1);
> }
>
> in gnu flex, yywrap is a define returning a constant 1.... so....
>
> I have put a tar and gzip'd copy of netcdf.tar.Z, now named netncdf.lx.tar.gz
> on anonymous ftp on nevado.srcc.lsu.edu, cd /incoming... you know the rest.
>
> There were only 3 issues in the port.
>
> 1)  In CUSTOMIZE, set OS=linux
> 2)  The above thingy in ncgen.y - i just hacked with
>     #ifndef yywrap
>     int
>     yywrap()
>     {
>       return(1);
>     }

Someone else had reported this earlier, so we already have a very similar
fix in our development code for the next release.  But thanks for reporting
it anyway.  Sometimes it takes several tries ...

> 3)  This is moderately important.
>     The "FORTRAN" compiler on linux is really the ATT public domain FORTRAN to
>     C translator.  This thing is not really robust enough to handle the
>     FORTRAN in the netcdf code... I'm sure it could be hacked through but I
>     don't use FORTRAN any more except when drunk or forced to.
>
>     SO...
>
>     After I ran configure (which thinks it finds a FORTRAN compiler), I
>     editted the top Makefile and changed
>     FC = f77
>     FC =
>
> and then did a make all, make test.  I also created cdf's on SunOS and IRIX
> and passed them to linux and vice versa.. all was fine.

We'll put a note about it in our INSTALL notes.  Thanks for the
information.

> So.. the port is yours - i'll be glad to keep making it available on nevado.

Your report of what was needed to port to linux should be sufficient.  I'm
filing it in our support replies database so others who are trying to port
to linux before our next release can find it.

> Thanks again for all the good stuff you guys churn out

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000