Re: NetCDF/HDF question

Chris,

> I'm trying to install hdf 3.3r3 on a Solaris 2 machine.  I followed the
> instructions as best I could.  I set all my variables, and made sure
> path's and the env. was set correctly.  I copied the MAKE.SOLARIS to
> Makefile. But when I go to make the files I get:

> (202)% make all
>
> making `all' in directory /usr/local/chris/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf/port
>
> /usr/ccs/bin/ar rcuv libudport.a uddummy.o
>
> returning to directory /usr/local/chris/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/chris/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf/xdr
>
> gcc -O -c -I/usr/include/rpc  -DHDF -g -I/hdf/install/include -DSUN xdr.c
> In file included from xdr.c:19:
> xdr.h:242: hdf.h: No such file or directory
> cpp: /usr/tmp/cca0018d.i: No space left on device
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xdr.o'

> And I don't know where the hdf.h file is.

This is really a question for the HDF support group at NCSA (I can't find
the address right now, but it might be address@hidden).  It appears that
you might be trying to make the HDF software in the wrong order.  I would
guess that you need to make and install the HDF base library in the hdf/
directory before you try to make and install the netCDF/HDF part of the
library in the mfhdf/ directory.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000