Re: netcdf and compilers

Jim,

> I have obtained the JACKETS.OBJ and FSLEN.OBJ files.  As well, I have
> downloaded the MSOFT.INT and NETCDF.INC for including in my Fortran
> code.  Unfortunately, I still receive various "unresolved externals"
> errors from the linking stage.  The following is a sample of the
> linker output.
>
> My fortran manual suggests that the order of the libraries stated
> could be important but I have tried varying the order without
> any success.

The output you sent indicates that the run-time C libraries are missing.
I'm sorry I didn't make this clear earlier, but the Fortran interface for
netCDF is a thin veneer on top of the C interface, and the libraries in the
C layer call other standard C run-time library functions.  It is not enough
to have just a Fortran compiler, you also need to link in the C run-time
library.  This library is searched by default whenever you use a C compiler
to link a program, but when you are using a Fortran compiler to link in a
program that requires anything in the C run-time library (as most any C I/O
library will), you must explicitly include the C library on the link line.

To get this C run-time library, you will have to have installed a C
compiler, for example Microsoft C.  With Microsoft C, the name of the
run-time C library file is LLIBCE.LIB, with Borland C it probably has a
different name.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000