Re: Wind Profiler Data/netCDF

>From: address@hidden (Diane Jacobi)

Diane,

>       Dr. John Cortinas passed your name on to me.  I am a Ph.D. student
>at Georgia Tech working with wind profiler data.  The data is in netCDF
>format, and I am having trouble extracting the data into a readable format.
>
>>From what I have read on netCDF, I *should* be able to just extract that
>data that I am interested in, correct  (for example, the data from only one
>station)?

NetCDF allows you to extract selected data in "hyperslabs".  Assuming your
data has been stored properly, you could extract data from a single station
by identifying the variable ID of the station, and then selecting the
data that corresponds to it.

>I have VERY little programming experience, so the manual (which was written
>by programmers for programmers) doesn't help me very much.  Although, I think
>I could figure it out if I had an example (if not, then I have some friends
>who program for a living and they have offered to help if they have an
>example).

The netCDF users guide describes the netCDF interface, the components
of a netCDF file, netCDF data types, the usage of the netCDF library,
netCDF operations, dimensions, variables, and attributes.  You should
be looking at the chapter on the usage of the netCDF library, which
describes the *sequence* of commands that your program should use, including
examples.  Then you should look at the descriptions of the netCDF
operations that you must use to open and inquire about the file, select
the data, extract it, and then close the file.  Again, all the discussions
about each netCDF library operation come with examples.

>If you could either send me something for windprofilers specifically, or
>anything dealing with netCDF code, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank
>you!
>
>Sincerely,
>Diane Jacobi

If the netCDF users guide does not answer all your questions, I suggest
that you use the netCDF FAQ (frequently asked questions), README, and
txt (text) files that are available with the software package.  You may
access these additional materials from the anonymous ftp at unidata.ucar.edu,
Mosaic server (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/).

Peggy