netcdf and compilers

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 14:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jim Young <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: netcdf and compilers
To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>

On Tue, 12 Apr 1994, Russ Rew wrote:

> trying to compile any C program with /usr/ucb/cc on your system.  Although
> the Sun C compiler would be adequate, any other commercial C compiler for
> SPARCstations should work OK too, and any recent version of the freely
> available gcc compiler also works, although I've never figure out how to get
> the Fortran interface working if you are using the Sun Fortran compiler with
> the GNU gcc compiler.
>
> We build, test, and provide instructions for installing netCDF with the
> Microsoft C compiler, but other users have succeeded in building netCDF with
> the Borland C++ compiler.  You might not have to get a compiler at all for
> the PC version, since we make compiled versions of the netCDF and XDR
> libraries available via anonymous FTP from
>
>       ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/msdos/
> and
>       ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/borland/

Hi there Russ,

Thanks for the info.  I have downloaded the DOS netCDF and XDR
libraries from the above mentioned places.  When I tried to
compile a simple Fortran program, I received a list of errors
with "unresolved externals".  It seems that my fortran program
is trying to call the fortran named routines in the library
files but the module names in the libraries are the C version.

Is there another compiled library for Fortran calls or am I
completely "off" in my thinking?

I hope this makes sense and you would be able to sort out
my total confusion.  ;)

Thanks in advance,

Jim Young

Cloud Physics Research Division (ARMP)    E-mail: address@hidden
Atmospheric Environment Service
4905 Dufferin Street                         TEL: (416)-739-4904
Downsview, Ontario, CANADA     M3H 5T4       FAX: (416)-739-4211

------- End of Forwarded Message