Re: Netcdf 2.3.2 on the VMS Alpha

In the above message you wrote:

>       I have to port NetCDF 2.3.2 to the Alpha running VMS.  I
>have been trying to use the descrip.mms and the source as given.
>Unfortunately I need error and warning free compilation and its
>not seeming to compile that way.  Have you tried compiling on a
>VMS alpha?  Do you use different source?

Since we don't have access to one, we haven't built the netCDF package
on an Alpha running VMS.  We have, however, built it on an Alpha
running OSF1 and on VAXen running VMS.

We do not, however, recommend the use of the descrip.mms file for
building under VMS.  Rather, the make.com files should be used.

>       I do do one thing differently than you:
>
>COPTS           = /NOLIST/EXTERN=STRICT_REFDEF/ANSI/FLOAT=D_FLOAT
>
>The htons.mar and ntohs.mar seem strikingly like VAX assembly to me.
>If so, why aren't there different files for the Alpha? I'm confused.

Again, we can't speak to Alpha/VMS, but under Alpha/OSF1 the operating
system supplies correct implementations of ntohs() and htons().  I
suspect that the current release of VMS for the Alpha does also.
Consequently, You might try deleting the references to htons.mar and
ntohs.mar from the relevant make.com file before attempting to build
the package.

Please keep this dialog open.  We want to hear about Alpha/VMS
experiences.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>