Re: NetCDF file limit

Hi Brian,

> I wanted to ask you if there are any concerns I should have
> if I want to bump the netCDF file limit up...
> the netcdf.h file makes it clear that the MAX_NC_OPEN
> can be as large as the max number of stdio I can have for a
> process...
> Have you experimented with this?  This is for a real-time
> system and I was wondering if there is anything else I should
> consider...

It's OK to make the limit much larger.  However if you permit the maximum
number of netCDF files to be open, any application using the library might
open the maximum number and then be out of slots for opening other kinds of
files, since there is a global limit on the number of file descriptors that
a process may have open.

--Russ