20000727: Display of CIMSS sounder products in GEMPAK

Robert,

I think we should first make sure that the standard im library routines work
and then with gpmap rather than having to worry about garp and the change in
background colors just yet....unless you want to test the Solaris binary
for GARP I posted. You mentioned this is your SPARC clone correct?

Lets test the im library first:

cd $GEMPAKHOME/source/gemlib/im
make tlink

Then run $GEMEXE/testim

When this comes up, chose option 1, answer sat for the proj and
then give your file name for one of the sounder products.

The run the indrop option, which should pop up the xw device and
display the image and colorbar. The colorbar will be outlined with color 1
so that is something to keey in mind for background color choices.
The units of the colorbas should ve J/kg for cape, degC for LI,
mm for PW, degK for SST, mb for CTP and DB for ozone.
You should see values such as 0-67mm for PW, 0-6000K/KG for cape,
and 950-150 for CTP for example.

If these ranges are not correct, than the imcalib.f routine is not being
called correctly. If the label is BRIT, then the update is not being used at
all.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport