20000802: questions with Gempak function

>From: Hui-ya Chuang <address@hidden>

>Hi, Mr. Chiswell,
>
>I've been used "uwnd" as u-component of the wind for the gempak.
>Lately,
>I have learned there is also a similar function called "urel".  I was
>wondering
>if there are differences between the two?
>
>Hui-ya

Hui-ya,

urel and vrel are grid relative components. Most models provide their data
in this manner. You will see in the gfunc docuantation that both UR and UN
as well as VR and VN exist for decomposing a vector into its components.
For a CED grid, these should be equivalent.

Steve Chiswell