20000626: PUTTING LABELS ON AXES IN GEMPAK

>From: Necops Research Account <address@hidden>

>Steve:
>
>Hi.  Is there a way to put a text label on a gempak plot. All I want to do is
>put Height (m) on the y axis, but I don't see how to do this in any
>documentation. I'm using sncross2 if that makes any difference.
>
>Thanks
>Rich

Rich,

sncross doesn't support any arbitrary text positioning or labeling,
but I dug out an old contrib program called gptext that you can use
to do the job.

I posted this in ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/contrib/gptext.tar.Z

Download into $NAWIPS and unpack/install with:

zcat gptext.tar.Z | tar xvf -
cd gempak5.4/source/programs/gp/gptext
make
make install
make clean

Once the program is installed, you can write text (and rotate) such as:
TITLE    = 5//Height (m)

TEXT     = 1/21/1/sw

POSITION = .03;.45;90

DEVICE   = XW

COORD    = n
gptext->r

This will write the title string (in color 5) in the device normal
coordinate system (0->1 screen coordinates) at position X=.03 Y=.45
and rotated 90 degrees. It might take a few tests to get the X/Y location
figured out for your plot, but after that it should be easy.

Online help will be available for more information as well.

Steve Chiswell