Re: 20000501: GEMPAK failure to install on Solaris 8 x86

Steve,

I did what you suggested and make all in that directory returned
the same error.  I then did a make clean on the whole distribution,
then did a make all.  This time the build failed at this point(I was
watching it on screen)
The interesting thing is that in the original builds make.out,
there is a gap of 12 blank lines between this line:
/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active/vc

and the next line. It looks like the first build just skipped
over this part.  The second time though there was the line above
then a bunch of blank lines then the same errors as you saw from
the previous message from the install attempt.  The disk is
only 17% full and nothing else was running at the time.  I also
rebooted the machine back into Solaris 7 last night after the
first failure and did boot into Solaris 8 until just now when
I tried it again.

I am at a loss here.

Robert

At 09:38 AM 5/1/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>Robert,
>
>All you should need to do is:
>
>cd $GEMPAKHOME/source/driver/active/vc
>make clean
>make all
>
>Then go back to $NAWIPS and run the "make install".
>
>The reason you are getting the following message is that
>the vc executable does not exist in the directory, so
>running install is causing problems. Running make clean
>in that directory following by make all should produce the
>executable.
>
>Its possible that the original build failed if the disk was temporarily
>full, or if the system had cached the "ar" disk write so that
>vc.a wasn't available when originally trying to link- or if something
>was left in the directory from a previous installation.
>
>Steve Chiswell
>Unidata User Support
>
>>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
>
>>I am installing Solaris 8 and UNIDATA stuff on another hard drive on
>>wxmcidas.
>>I am using the SC5.0 compilers and a fresh (no patches) install of
>>Solaris 8.  I saw no problems during the build (I don't think),
>>it finished the build, but when I started the install it exited.  Here
>>is the error portion..vc.a is there and there are two files ending in
>>*.o.
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Robert Mullenax
>>
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active/vc
>>ar rv /export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/lib/x86/vc.a *.o
>>ar: cannot open *.o
>>        No such file or directory
>>ar: *.o not found
>>a - *.o
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
>>`/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/lib/x86/vc.a'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active/vc
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `FORCEinstall'
>>Current working directory /export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
>>~
>>
>>--
>>NSBF Meteorology

* <
>Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program <