20000501: contouring the 40km ETA

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

>Chiz,
>
>Now that I'm getting the 40km ETA grids, I see that the contouring
>functions I use for the 80km result in some pretty choppy lines on the
>40km.  I tried changing the CONTUR settings (subbox and smoothing) in my
>fdf files, but that didn't make any difference.  Is there a way I can
>smooth out these lines?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tony

>   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
>   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
>   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
>   fax: 303.556.4436                www.mscd.edu/~eas

Tony,

Asside from CONTUR and CURVE for smoothing the lines drawn
(I usually have CURVE=21 and CONTUR=3/3 or 10/3), you can
use the 5 or 9 point smoothing functions- for example:

GFUNC = SM5S(emsl)

You will notice a lot of higher frequency wiggles in those
high resolution grids- especially omega and othersmall
scale grids..

Steve Chiswell