20000414: GEMPAK color allocation

Devin,

An easy solution for generating GIF images is to run a virtual X server
such as Xvfb. This acts as a screen to draw images to, without having to
have a user logged in, as well as solving the problem of color conflicts.

You can find details on Xvfb including configuration options from
the gempak support archives.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support