20000412: calculating stability indexes

>From: Mike Trexler <address@hidden>

>Maybe I'm missing something, but is there anyway to make GEMPAK
>calculate stability indexes like CAPE, CIN, etc... from a gridded file
>of
>model data so that you can make a planar contour of values???
>
>Thanks
>Mike
>

>--
>******          C. Michael Trexler          ******
>******      N C State Univ. - Box 8208      ******
>******  Dept. of Mar/Earth/Atmos. Sciences  ******
>******        Research III   Rm. 100        ******
>******        Raleigh, NC 27695-8208        ******
>******        (919) 515-1447  Phone         ******
>******         (919) 515-1683  Fax          ******
>******        address@hidden       ******

No, you're not missing anything.
ETA, RUC etc have CAPE fields which can be plotted, and you can grid
CAPE from sounding data, but there is no way to compute CAPE
within the grid programs. Unlike SWET, TOTL and the other indicies which
can be computed in the grid programs because they use specific levels,
CAPE requires integration of all the levels of the vertical coordinate
which requires a lot of grids and is time consuming.

The SOO/SAC web pages mention a program gdcape contributed from one of the
NWS offices, but Bob doesn't have the source- just the hpux binary.
You might be able to contact the SOO directly however.

Steve Chiswell