20000229: remote garp

>From: "Frank Colby" <address@hidden>

>Dear Support Folks,
>
>I know I had email about this, but in a disk failure the email was
>lost.  We know have two machines running linux, and I would like to be
>able to use them to connect to our idd machine on which gempak/garp is
>installed.  I can run garp on the idd machine, but I thought there was a
>way to run garp on this machine (our server if you will), but displaying
>in an x window on the linux machines.  The server is using mit magic
>cookies authorization (user level) at the moment, and so I tried to
>extract the proper line from the server xauthority file and merge it
>into one of the linux machines.  This seems to be successful, but I am
>at a loss as to how to proceed.  If I telnet to the server, garp fails,
>because of server authorization.  Is this because I need to do something
>else on the linux machine?  Or do I have to install gempak on the linux
>machine and then run garp locally, accessing the data only on the
>server?
>
>Sorry to be asking what I'm sure are elementary questions, but I'm still
>firmly rooted in vms, and so the transition is slow.
>
>Frank Colby
>UMass Lowell

Frank,

You should be able to display from your server to the client machines
as long as they are running an X server in 8 bit pseudocolor mode.

On the Client Linux machine, you will have to allow the host to display to
its X server. You would do this with:
xhost + server.machine.name

Then after logging in to the server machine, you have to define where
to send the display output to using the DISPLAY environmental variable.
This would look like:
setenv DISPLAY client.nachine.name:0

The :0 defines the screen #0 of the x server on the reomte machine.

Once your have the environmental variable set, you should be able to send
an xterm back to your client machine. If you can do that, then you know
that you have the connection working properly.

You can then run the "ntl" command which should open up the selection widget
on the client machine- which will let you launch garp.

If your receive an NCLR -46 error when trying to launch ntl, it may mean
that your client is running an X server in true color mode rather than
pseudocolor.
You can check this with the command "xdpyinfo". This will show the default
visual ID of the server, and then you can determine what the visual ID and type
are.

If ntl reports that fewer than the required number of colors are available,
you should make sure that color hogs like netscape aren't running on your
client.
You can also decrease the number of color used by GEMPAK, for exmaple using
64 satellite colors instead of 128 colors, when launching ntl with "ntl -s 64".

I also pulled up my previous response to you regarding X displays from the
Gempak
support archives from our www server. It is at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/2648

Steve Chiswell