20000229: UKMET grid files

James,

This stinks of a problem with the pqing NOAAport ingestor
when looking for the GRIB start "GR" and finding the GR in EGRR.
As a result, the products were flagged as not having the appropriate
WMO GRIB format.

I looked at the IDD ingestion logs and found that pqing is dumping many of
the ukmet grids, whereas my NOAAport feed here which doen't use the ingestor
does receive those products. I believe that Glenn Davis fixed the GR problem
last year-
but his work may not have gotten into the current release after his death.

I'll store the EGRR grids from my receiver tonight and see if I can
determine where in pqing the IDD grids are getting lost.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: James Murakami <address@hidden>

>Steve Chiswell:
>
>I apologzie for the confusion. Yes, I have GEMPAK calculate
>500 mb AVOR from the winds. However, I see no grid files for
>wind (UREL and VREL) for the 6-42 hour period (500 mb wind
>available for hours 00,48, 60, and 72). There are other
>"missing files" like 700 mb temperature and wind for the
>same periods. I used GDINFO to look at what got decoded.
>
>(I'm not expecting any answer soon as you've got other
>pressing matters)
>
>James
>
>--------------------------------------
>James Murakami
>Staff Meteorologist/Student Affairs
>Department of Atmospheric Sciences
>University of California, Los Angeles
>405 Hilgard Ave.
>Los Angeles, CA  90095-1565
>

>   e-mail:  address@hidden
>telephone:  310-825-2418
>      Fax:  310-206-5219
>---------------------------------------
>

>>Regarding the EGRR grids, you mention the 6-36 hour period. Are you seeing AV
> OR
>>at 0, 48 or 72 hours? I don't see that they are broadcasting AVOR for any tim
> es.They only seem to send the basic state grids- and omega.
>>
>>Presumably, you can calculate AVOR from the winds.
>>
>>Steve Chiswell
>

>>>I don't seem to be picking up all output for UKMET
>>>grib data. For example, the GEMPAK decoded files don't
>>>include 500 mb absolute vorticity from hours 6 through
>>>36. My pqact.conf is as follows--
>>>
>>>HRS    ^H.[I-P][A-K].. EGRR
>>>       PIPE    /unidata/ldm/gempak/bin/dcgrib -v
>>>       -d /gempak/logs/dcgrib.log
>>>       -g /unidata/ldm/gempak/gempak5.4/tables
>>>       -q"lin,dlat=2.5,dlon=2.5"
>>>       PACK /gempak/data/hrs/YYYYMMDDHH_ukmet.gem
>>>
>>>Do I need to modify or did the National Weather Service
>>>intentionally omit these files (don't know why they would
>>>though).
>>>
>>>James Murakami

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <