20000201: running dcgrib in script

>From: weather <address@hidden>

>I have written a script that will automatically ftp some
>files from the NCEP FTP server.  I would like to automatically
>decode them as well.  I could have sworn that in the past
>I just had a c-shell script that just had the path set and
>one line:
>
>cat gribfile | dcgrib PACK YYYYMMDDHH_test.gem
>
>and when executed that script would decode the file.
>
>Trying to repeat that I can't get it to work I run the script
>but it immediately exits without any error or message at all.
>What would I need to do to write a script to do this in
>a cron job?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

Make sure your script sources Gemenviron, since dcgrib will need
the $GEMTBL directory defined to find the grid tables -
otherwise you need to use the -g flag because your cron environment
will not have those environmental variables set.
You can add the -d logfile logging if you need to find out
why the output file isn't being created.

Steve Chiswell