20000131: dcreanal, pmsl grids

Emily,

I ran dcreanal on your data as follows to create monthly files:
dcreanal slp.1948.nc YYYYMM_slp.gem

This produced:
 Changing center table to cntrgrib1.tbl
 Changing vertical coord table to vcrdgrib1.tbl
 Changing WMO parameter table to ncarncep1.tbl
 Changing center parameter table to ncarncep1.tbl
opening 194801_slp.gem 480101/0000
 480101/0000         PMSL        NONE                   0          -1
 480102/0000         PMSL        NONE                   0          -1
 480103/0000         PMSL        NONE                   0          -1
 480104/0000         PMSL        NONE                   0          -1
 480105/0000         PMSL        NONE                   0          -1
...etc.

I was able to display these files normally.

At this point, I don't know why your were unsucessful. Is the above output
what your received? Did you decode into monthly files? Since there are 366
times in the file (and you can only have 200 times in a GEMPAK file), you
have to split it up somehow- so monthly is the easiest choice. If you have any
more
information on how you decoded the file, let me know.

I'll attach the tarfile of decoded files in a separate message.
You can unpack the tarfile with "zcat tarfile.Z | tar xvf -"

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport