2000128: Color tables in Motif 2.1 on SunOS5

>From: Bob Lane <address@hidden>

>I have built GEMPAK on an Ultra 10 that is running Motif 2.1 I get the
>following error message.
>
>GEMPLT -46 NCLRAL - Can not allocate read/write colors
>
>and have tried the normal method of reducing the allocation of color tables
>to other applications. If I run any GEMPAK program on an AIX machine
>running Motif 1.2 as a remote terminal things work fine.
>
>In the course of building GEMPAK, I've had to fix several #if errors
>related to XmVersion and XmRelease as the c compiler wanted the directives
>in column 1. The routines I fixed were:
>nxmColrp.c
>nxmLabel.c
>nxmBxmBtn.c
>nmap_mbotw.c
>nmap_mmenuw.c

Bob,

You need to have the default depth of your X server set to 8 bits.
Gemnpak is not capable of displaying to a truecolor visual.

Check your output from "xdpyinfo" and look for
the default visual ID. You will need to configure your X server to
ensure that this is a pseudocolor 8 bit default visual.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <