2000126: Gempak

Ka Kit,

The Gemenviron has 2 examples of the GEMDATA variable. One is commented
out , eg the line has a # character. You need only modify the
uncommented line- which should be the line that looks like:
/var/data/ldm/gempak

This is the GEMDATA location. By defining that location, most other
GEMPAK data locations are relative to that directory. Eg, HDS is
where model data is stored. This is defined as $GEMDATA/hds.
This will be the directory that dcgrib decodes the model gridpoint data
into. $SAO is defined as $GEMDATA/surface. In that directory you will
find the decoded metar files. $TEXT_DATA is defined as $GEMDATA/nwx.
Under that directory will be additional subdirectories for data products
used by nwx.

The ~ldm/data direcory is the directory defined under ~ldm/data.
The ldm5.0.5 and ldm5.0.8 directories are the build location
of the LDM- but LDMHOME is the ~ldm/ directory  which will have
bin/ etc/ and logs/ directories. The runtime link is used to point to
the actual installed version 5.0.5, 5.0.8 etc of the ldm. By using the
runtime link, new versions of the LDM can be installed  without
having to change all the old locations, only the runtime link that points
to the version directory.

Steve Chiswell