20000120: Garp problem on Solaris X86

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

>Steve:
>
>You guys are going to be tired of hearing from me, but I am
>chipping away at the problems.
>
>I have GEMPAK and GARP running fine on my Sun Solaris
>boxes. I NFS mount the data drive to some X86 machines
>running Solaris 2.7 (Solaris 7) in my lab. I downloaded the
>binary version of pl12 and got the patch update to pl14. I
>downloaded the libraries and put them in /opt/SUNWspro/lib,
>where the libraries are at on my Sun box.
>
>When I start GARP, I can look at surface data and upper air
>data, but there are no options available for satellite
>imagery. In other words, it doesn't show "GOES-8" or
>"GOES-10". This is the same data drive I am using on the
>Sun boxes, and I can view the satellite data fine there.
>(The files are links to McIDAS AREA files.) In other words,
>I don't think it's a problem with paths. I also copied my
>Gemenviron file over from the Sun boxes.
>
>Also, I keep geeting these ld.so.1 errors when I try to do
>the simplest things, like use vi or do a page command. That
>started after I installed the libaries you provided. I
>wonder if this has to do with the version of Solaris (2.7
>rather than 2.6) or with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
>
>setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/dt/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:$OPENWINHOME/lib
>:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/ucblib
>
>Any suggestions???
>
>Tom

Tom,

I would suggest placing the library files that you optained in the GEMPAK
distribution in a $NAWIPS/sharelib directory and adding that directory to
the end of your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. That way, they are the point of last resort,
and programs like vi should find their sharable libraries elsewhere before
ever getting to the $NAWIPS/sharelib directory.

As for the satellite images, each client should have the $SAT environmental
variable defined from the Gemenviron, and you should verify that the
mount point is correctly defined for the clients. The command:
ls $SAT
should show that the subdirectories GOES-8, GOES-10 etc are there.
Also, as you mention, since they are links into the mcidas data directory,
you should be able to:
ls -l $SAT/GOES-8/4km/VIS
and see the link points like:
VIS_000120_2115 -> /data/ldm/mcidas/AREA0145

you need to verify that that is the appropriate path for the clients.
If not, you might need to create a symbolic link to the path so that
the mountpoint agrees with your server.

For example, if you have /export/data/mcidas on your server, and
that directory is mounted onto /data/ldm/mcidas on your client machines,
then you would either need to change the mount point- or create a link
from /export/data to /data on your clients.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support