20000120: Gempak and Solaris Intel 7

>From: "Jim St. John" <address@hidden>

>I'm trying to install LDM and Gempak on a new PC with Solaris Intel 7.  LDM in
> stalled OK and is running fine except that the Gempak decoders aren't creatin
> g Gempak files.
>
>Gempak isn't working.  As I recall, with the binary distributions, the only co
> nfiguration needed is to Gemenviron.  The instructions on the Web site seem t
> o apply to a source distribution.  Anyway all I did was unzip the distributio
> n.  Do I need to do more?
>
>Also Solaris Intel 7 does not come with programming language compilers.  I dow
> nloaded and installed the gcc-2.95.2-sol7-intel-local.gz package from sunfree
> ware.com.  It contains GNU C, C++, FORTRAN, JAVA, and other compilers.  Is th
> is sufficient for these packages.
>
>Jim

>*  Dr. Jim St. John
>*  School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>*  Georgia Institute of Technology
>*  Atlanta GA 30332-0340
>*  Phone 404-894-1754   Fax 404-894-1106
>*  address@hidden
>*  http://jackpine.eas.gatech.edu/stjohn

Jim,

LDM should compile with gcc on Solaris for intel. But binary installation is
also fine.

Gempak either uses the SUNWspro compilers of gcc and f2c- but not gnu's g77
at this point because g77 cannout understand certain constructs used
by Gempak.

To use the x86 gempak binary ans you have downloaded, you probably
need to download the libf77.so fortran library located in the
gempak binary directory and this should be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
along with /usr/dt/lib and /usr/openwin/lib for Motif and X11 respectively.

You should be able to verify that the programs are finding all of the
shared libraries they need by running:
cd $GEMEXE
ldd garp

ldd will show all of the libraries used by the program and will report if one
is not found.

You will beed to define the appropriate locations in your pqact.conf for
the decoders. Decoders like dcgrib need to be able to find the GEMTBL
directory (defined with the -g flag in the examples). Programs like dchrly need
to find the stations tables and packing tables. If you are using the
decoders.tbl entries from the tutorial as a guide, you will have to
modify the paths appropriate to your system.

Steve Chiswell