19991028: Using snprof

Lisa,

Thank you for sending the email with the files showing
your input to snprof.

I see what the problem you are having is.
Your snprof plot is specifying:

SNPARM=THTV;BRBK

the snparm line above is attempting to plot both virtual potential
temperature and the packed wind/direction value. The line you
see going up the left side of your display represents the temperature
values on the order of 300-400, while you are seeing a graph of the BRBK
value in the range of 40000. As a result of the scales of the plots being
so different, the THTV graph shows up as nearly a vertical line.

What you really want is:
SNPARM=THTV
WIND=BK1   or WIND=BM1

The BRBK values represent a packed number that contains both speed
and direction (aka ffddd, resulting in the large size of the number).
Any parameter listed on the SNPARM line will be drawn as a line
graph in the profile, while the WIND parameter will draw the
wind barbs on the right side of the plot.

If you wanted a profile of wind speed and THTV, then you could use:
SNPARM=THTV;SPED or SNPARM=THTV;SPED*10
as an example. The primary point here is that it really doesn't
make since to plot BRBK as a line graph since it is a combination
of both speed and direction.

For the WIND parameter, the BM1 will plot B(arbs) in M(eters/second)
using color 1. BK1 will plot B(arbs) in K(nots) using color 1 etc.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support