19991012: I'm trying to convert Mexican synoptic reports

>From: Darren Gallant <address@hidden>

>  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>  Send mail to address@hidden for more info.
>
>---559023410-1100056416-939763306=:23661
>
>Dear Unidata Support,
>
>I'm attempting to decode synoptic reports for Mexico using dchrly.

Darren,
You cannot decode synoptic code reports with dchrly. Dchrly is used
to decode METAR and SA format bulletins. Dcsynop is used to
decode synoptic code and ship/buoy bulletins.

You can specify which table is used by the decoder with the -s
option. Sor realtime synoptic data I use systns_upc.tbl.

You can create your own station table as needed for archived data sets.

>I issued the following command: dchrly -c 890401/0000 1989040100.gem >
>SINO0100 where SINO0100 is the metar file.
>
>Using sflist I examined the output file and it only contained 1 station
>but was nearly 3/4 mb in size.
>
>My first question: Does dchrly use the sfstns.tbl when decoding metar
>data?
>
>If my file contains older stations can I create a station file containing
>information for the older stations and use this instead?
>
>Can dchrly decode metars using the station number instead of the station
>id?

Metars do not use the WMO ID- and you do not have Metar bulletins in
the SIN0100 file anyway.

You file appears to have some garbage in it, looks like extraneous
characters in the transmission- so right off, I cannot decode it.

I'll have to see if there is any chance in decoding it after cleaning it up.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support