19991012: ACARS Data

>From: "Mark J. Laufersweiler" <address@hidden>

>Support (Steve and Robb),
>
>One observation (gemapk5.4) and one question (ldm), both dealing
>with the acars data stream.
>
>1. Observation: Having downloaded the latest gempak and building it,
>I noticed that the dcacars decoder was not part of the build. I had
>to go into its directory and build it there manually. Not sure if
>this is a feature or bug :-)

This is a feature. Building dcacars and dcncprof requires that you
first build netcdf and define those library locations in
$NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.common. Since not all sites will get these data
streams, I did not want to make building the core portion of Gempak
contingent on having NetCDF.

>2. Question: Whom do we set to request from for our feedset PCWS? OU
>is currently feeding from thelma for the FSL2 feedset. I may be
>jumping the gun here and the feed is not yet active.

You have to contact FSL directly for them to feed the PCWS to you.
See their www page at: http://acweb.fsl.noaa.gov/FAQ.html.

They have a couple of restrictions on use of the data, so FSL
will maintain feed control. Here is the original announcement
for ACARS from Linda miller: