19991008: archive data for gempak

Matt,
The 32km Native ETA grid is not one that is broadcast via NOAAport-
so therefore not one provided via the IDD. That means that the
normal universities which have archives of the IDD are not going to
be able to help most likely. The grid 212 40km and grid 211 80km
CONUS grids are available on the IDD so some sites probably have them
on archive.

The only source I know of for the 32km native grid in real time is
the ftp.ncep.noaa.gov ftp server... but this is not an archive.
Possibly NCDC would be the place to go.

The Native 32km, 50 level grid is huge- approximately 65 megabytes per
forecast hour output (about 1 GB per model run), so if you
need a substantial period of data, it will be a significant amount
of data. Gempak is capable of decoding the GRIB source into a Gempak grid
file for analysis.

Depending on what you need to look at, the 40km grids may be acceptable
for analyzing the meteorological conditions, since they are just an
interpolation from the native grid; however, if you are trying to analyze
model performance and sensitivity then you might need the native grid.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support