19990916: Intel Solaris vs Solaris 2.X

>From: Rahe Peter J MSgt AFIT/ENP <address@hidden>

>We are in the planning stages to upgrade our lab and are toying with the
>idea of moving from Sun SPARCs (2s and 20s)running Solaris 2.6 to PCs
>running Solaris X86 (budgetary restrictions make this a realistic
>possibility).  My concern is that I won't be able to upgrade all at once, so
>will be running both platforms simultaneously.  I know that the Unidata
>packages are supoorted on both platforms, but am unsure as to whether my
>current server (Ultra 2) will be able to serve the Intel machines, or will I
>need a separate server and software compiled on X86 for those.
>
>Peter J. Rahe
>Superintendent, Meteorology Lab Operations
>Air Force Institute of Technology
>Wright-Patterson AFB OH
>*address@hidden or address@hidden
>*DSN 785-3636 x4646  COMM (937) 255-3636 x4646
>Fax:  DSN 785-2921    COMM (937) 255-2921

Pete,

The Sparc computers will run different executables than the PC based
Solaris operating system.

Your Ultra 2 can serve data to the PC's for shared files, but you
will need to have a separate set of executables for LDM, Gempak, McIDAS etc.
The Gempak distribution allows for sharing of common tables etc,
and separate binaries for different operating systems using the $NA_OS
environmental variable (set when you source the Gemenviron file).
For the Sparc, the executables are in $NAWIPS/bin/sol, for the X86
machines they would be under $NAWIPS/bin/x86. If your PC's mount the data
and software from the server using NFS, then Gempak can share all the
other data bases under the $NAWIPS tree- and your path would set the
appropriate executable directory when you source Gemenviron.

Steve Chiswell