19990914: gdedit / METAR reports

>From: Chris Hennon <address@hidden>

>On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Unidata Support wrote:
>

>> 2) For NWX to list raw metar bulletins (eg the ascii format), you need
>> to be pointing to data files you just FILE from the LDM. NWX uses the
>> ascii data, and not the gempak files that dchrly is converting into GEMPAK
>> format for use in the surface programs. The nwx interface just gives you
>> a point and click lookup into the text file...it does not use the
>> decoded files. It will pull up the entire bulletin that the station
>> exists in.
>>
>> You can use SFLIST with SFPARM=TEXT;SPCL to list the raw individual
>> reports from a decoded Gempak surface file.
>
>OK.  So, the procedure would be to run SFLIST, dumping the METAR reports
>to a file (like "99091515.wmo"), then running nwx to display the stations
>from that file?

No...if you want to look at the bulletins in NWX, you would use the LDM FILE
action
in pqact.conf to store the raw metar bulletins in a file like:
DDS|IDS ^S[AP].... .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])
        FILE    data/surface/sao/(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1\2_sao.wmo

Then you would define RAW_SAO in the Gemenviron script to point to
the data directory that files are being written in to. The wmo extension
in the master.tbl line you show below tells nwx to use files with that in their
name in the $RAW_SAO directory (you should not have gempak format files in that
directory with the "wmo" string in their names). The metar.stn table is the
list of stations that will be plotted as diamonds on the map to click on.

I mentioned that the reports are available from sflist as an alternative
for pulling up the METAR report of the decoded obs.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support