19990914: SHEF pqact entry

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

>On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Unidata Support wrote:
>Chiz,
>
>> There should be a table in $NAWIPS/comet/dcshef/shef_ncdc.tbl.orig that
>> has 9915 stations (through the letter Z.....). Our version defines the
>> maximum number of stations as 9800.
>
>Can I make the 9800 bigger?  Can you point me in the right direction to
>make the change?  I found the 9800 in
>$NAWIPS/gempak5.4/include/gemprm.SunOS ... is this the place (only place)
>to change it, and do I have rebuild all of gempak or just the decoder?
>
>                                           Thanks.
>
>                                             Art.
>Arthur A. Person
>Research Assistant, System Administrator
>Penn State Department of Meteorology
>email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563

Art,

The maximum number of headers (10,000) and the maximum number or
stations (9800) plus the maximum number of times (200) must remain
consistent. If you change the values you need to remove all the
$GEMLIB/ library files and completely rebuild- since these parameters
define fortran array sizes, and  if they  are changes, then programs
will not have there common blocks aligned unless all the same.

Ship files use the 10,000 headers, while standard surface and upperair
files use the 9800+200 (ship locations move, so every report time has its
own location, whereas the surface and upperair station locations
are fixed for all times.

Besides gemprm.SunOS, you also will have to define the same sizes in
the gemprm.h include file for the C programs.

Steve Chiswell