19990916: change GEMPAK surface station file

>From: address@hidden

>I want to plot a surface map centered on Coffeyville, KS (CFV).  The
>surface file which is the source of the data to be plotted does contain data
>for CFV.  CFV is not listed in sfstns.tbl which I assume is the default
>surface station file.  Thus, GEMPAK does not recognize CFV as a valid
>place to center the map.  How do I change the default surface station
>file to something like us_basemap.tbl which does contain CFV?
>
>Donna Tucker                      http://chinook.phsx.ukans.edu/tucker.html
>address@hidden      Department of Physics and Astronomy
>(785) 864-4738 (new area code!)    University of Kansas
>(785) 864-5262 (fax)               Lawrence, KS  66045-2151

Donna,

While the station table defined CFV for that lat lon of a station,
the GEMPAK pparameters AREA and GAREA behave differently.

When you use AREA=CFV in sflist, the latlon of the station is obtained,
and the radius of stations around that point defines the area of
data to be used. You can increate the area with CFV- and zoom in
with CFV+ etc.

When you want to plot a map with GAREA=CFV, then that area name is expected
to be found in $GEMTBL/stns/geog.tbl. The geog.tbl defines the central
lat/lon as well as the lower left, upper right and projection for a
defined region which is necessary for defining the map area.

You can edit your geog.tbl to have a line such as:
!G      GEOG NAME           CENLAT  CENLON   LLLAT   LLLON   URLAT   URLON PROJ
!(8)    (18)              (8)     (8)     (8)     (8)     (8)     (8)      (30)
CFV     COFFEEVILLE          37.08  -95.57   35.00  -98.00   40.00  -93.00 CED

You can now refer to CFV in garea in any program...not just surface programs.

The us_basemap.tbl file was one I used with the STNPLT parameter to
plot a basemap for a student plotting exercise. It is not very inclusive-
but provided certain stations which were needed for the exercise.

Steve Chiswell