19990727: Using NAGRIB to convert GRIB file to GEMPAK file

Li-Chuan,

I'm glad you were able to decode the data with dcgrib.

I'm still not sure why NAGRIB didn't work for you.
We know that NAGRIB is able to read the data, since GDOUTF=list is
showing you the data products. The problem seems to be that the
appropriate projection for grid #105 is not being found in the
table. Or else, its possible that your 5.2 and 5.4 distributions
have gotten confused.

If you still want to check out NAGRIB, I suggest the following:

1) type: echo $GEMTBL
Make sure that the above points to your gempak5.4 tables
directory, eg: $NAWIPS/gempak5.4/tables

If this isn't the case, then its possible that you still have the Gempak 5.2
tables in your path from that source Gemenviron.

2) verify that grid#105 is found in $GEMTBL/grid/grdnav.tbl with:
grep N105 $GEMTBL/grid/grdnav.tbl

this should respond with:
N105 105 STR  90 -105   0  17.529 -129.296  53.771  -22.374  83  83 1.50 0

3) verify that you have bagrib for version 5.4:
GEMPAK-NAGRIB>version

 GEMPAK Version 5.4

That is the only thing I can think of at this time.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support