19990727: objective analysis

>From: Jamie Robert Rhome <address@hidden>

>I am a graduate student at North Carolina State University.  I am trying
>to find a software package/program that will objectively analyze surface
>hourly observations 1961-1990 from the NCDC cd-rom.  Do you know of any
>such programs or have any other suggestions?  My ultimate goal is to
>obtain hourly laplacian in mean sea level pressure values for the entire
>data set.  Thanks so much.
>
>Jamie
>--
>Jamie R. Rhome
>Staff Meteorologist
>State Climate Office of North Carolina
>North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC 27695 - 7236
>1005 Capability Drive., Suite 213, Raleigh, NC 27606
>Tel: 919-515-1446;  Fax: 919-515-1441;
>Data Services: 515-3056
>
>address@hidden
>http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu

Jamie,

GEMPAK is capable of performing objective analysis on surface data as
well as the Laplacian operator for scalar values of gridded data.

GEMPAK provides decoders for surface data, however, since your data has been
archives on CDROM, it is probably not is surface airways transmission format
(which is a good thing, since stations tend to move over the years,
and there is no location information in SAO observations).

So, you will likely have to create a program to read the data from
your CDROM and place into either a Gempak file, or a file that
Gempak can read (such as using the SFEDIT program in Gempak).

If you are not familiar with GEMPAK, you should probably consult with
Mike Trexler or Darrel Ensley who may be able to help you find
out how to access the software there.

Steve Chiswell