19990712: Gempak download information

>From: "Joanne Graham" <address@hidden>

>Hi all:
>
>Please necessary information to Dr. Michael Keables at DU so he can start
>using unidata software and data.
>
>Dr. Michael Keables
>University of Denver
>Department of Geography and Environmental Science
>2050 East Iliff Avenue
>Denver, CO  80208
>
>address@hidden
>
>Their licensing materials came to me by fax today, Donna is out so the
>official copy can't be sent back yet, but I am satisfied that he has takem
>the appropriate steps to get licensed, and he is very anxious to get
>started.
>
>Thanks.

The information you need to download gempak is:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

The source distribution is found under
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl11.tar.gz

The current tar file is patched through patch level 11.

To build Gempak from source, download and unpack the distribution into
a clean directory. Edit the csh file Gemenviron in the top directory
and define the NAWIPS environmental variable to be the directory you
unpacked into. Source the Gemenviron variables into your csh
environment to define $NAWIPS and all the tree locations relative to
NAWIPS. Then, if your system is standard configuration for Solaris,
IRIX, OSF/1, AIX, Linux, HPUX- you should be able to just type "make all",
followed by "make install" when the compileation finishes. If you have
libraries in non-standard places, then the $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.xxxxx
file for your OS would have to be modified. You should not modify the
optimization levels since some compilers don't work well with aggressive
optimization.

If you need a binary distribution for Linux (linux requires 3rd party
Motif), you can obtain that from
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_pl11_linux.tar.gz

All users that use Gempak should source Gemenviron into their csh
environment to define the Gempak variables and add the executable
directory into their path. Once the distribution is installed,
you can edit the data directory locations defined in Gemenviron-
but thats not a priority for building.

If you need more information, let me know what platform you will be
using, etc. and I can give you more platform specific information.
The current distribution is supported on the following platforms:
Sun Solaris 2.x
SGI Irix 5.x, 6.x
HP HPUX 10.x, 11.0
IBM AIX 4.x
DEC OSF/1 4.x
Solaris 2.x for Intel
Linux 5.2 (requires Motif for GUI applications).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport