19990712: Mesoeta fcst winds

Robert,
Note that the meso eta grid 212/215 runs are 3Z and 18Z. There appear to
be a few surface 212 grids at 00Z and 12Z- but not a full run on NOAAport.
The NMC2 feed does have the full output at all times.

I decoded this both on a workstation and a pc to verify that
dcgrib finds everything either way. One thing to double check
is that you have used the "-m" flag with dcgrib to specify the number of
grids that will be in the grib file. By default, room for 1500 is
allocated which is plenty of room for the ETA 212 (1365+/- grids) but
the mesoeta has more grids. For the 3Z run I count:
Grid 212 1939
Grid 215  625

OK...just saw your second note regarding the pressure levels being grayed
out. What Garp does is look in the first file and use that to see
what levels are available. It does not look in every file becuase
the developers found that that took too much time.

If you have the 12Z or 00Z file as the first file that Garp opens,
and that run only contains the surface levels, then the menu for pressure
doesn't know that the 3Z or 18Z run has all the levels. That sort of
stinks...but openning 3 or 4 really big files and cataloging every level
is a pig too. Maybe you want to modify your LDM pqact to call the 0Z and
12Z something like etasfc_grid212.gem that can be uniquely separated from
the name that you are using for the 3Z and 18Z grids in the model keys in
the Garp_defaults file?

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport