19990602: GEMPAK storm track

>From: address@hidden (Juliana Lo)

>Hi,
>
>I am using gpmap program to produce gif images from GOES
>data sets. I'm just wondering if it is possible to
>plot a overaly of tropical storm track marking positions
>with symbols.  Thanks!
>
>Juliana Lo
>address@hidden

I don't know if you are affiliated with University of Hawaii
since you do not identify yourself, however, if you are using
the Unidata Gempak distribution at UH, then gpmap can plot
tropical storm, and tropical cyclone symbols using marker numbers
22 and 23 respectively.

Using the markers, you can plot the positions of storms 2 ways.
The first is to create a station table so that you can use the STNPLT
variable in gpmap etc. eg: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/2463,
or you can create a surface file with locations
representing the storm position, and other variables of interest such
as central pressure, wind speed etc, and then use MARKER in sfmap.

By using a surface file, you can specify the marker for a given condition,
eg:
SFPARM=sped>32
MARKER=2/23
etc.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/2527
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/storm/tropic/epacific.gif

The tropical storm/cyclone marker symbols are additions I added
to our distribution, so if you do not have the Unidata distribution,
the marker numbers I mentioned above will not be applicable.

Steve Chiswell