19990406: LDM Gempak Decoder Problem

Brian,
I logged into your system and looked at dcnldn. It looks like the ldm
is killing off the dcnldn before the decoder flushes its buffer out
to the file- eg the Terminated messages in the log file. I added a -t 30
flag to your pqact.conf entry so that the decoder would close itself
down after 30 seconds without data so that the file could be
properly closed.

McIDAS has to restart the decoder every time- which is why that is
not a problem. Gempak saves the overhead of having to restart the decoder
if data comes in regularly- but normally closes down after 10 minutes
of inactivity. Its possible that the added data is making the LDM kill off
children to handle the flood of data on a restart- eg getting  backlogged
data all at once when the queue is remade. I may need to make dcnldn catch
the termination from the LDM differently if this is a Linux problem.

In general, a P200 with 64MB of ram should be adequate for your LDM server.
Other than that, it would depend upon how much other data processing you
intend, or file service to other machines that the server is forced
to handle.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support