19990330: NMC2 feed MRF grids

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

>I have been receiving the NMC2 feed for the last few days.  After
>fixing some network problems, everything has arrived as it should as near
>as I can tell.  However, I cannot retrieve any winds(for any level) or SLP.
> When
>I do a gdinfo, urel, vrel and slp show to be there but I cannot
>view WND or OBS or PMSL either using GARP or the command line.  This is
>true with
>mrf_grid202.gem and grid203.  All I have been able to view is height.
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>Robertt Mullenax

Robert,
I may be confused as to what grids you mean. On the NMC2 feed, you
will have MRF on grid 2 and 3 (002 & 003). Not sure
what you mean by 202 and 203 above- those wouldn't be NMC2 grids.
Grid 203 is a NOAAport Awips grid over alaska, and 202 is a CONUS Awips.

One thing that you will have to do for garp is to name the model
keys so that the grid files are uniquely named. Eg, use
mrf_grid002 rather than just mrf, since mrf will match multiple file names.

Of course, if you can't display the grids in the command line programs,
then that isn't your problem. Since grid 2 and 3 are global, you
should have data anywhere you view.

Can you clear up the grid 202/203 thing, and if you meant 2 and 3 above,
then perhaps I should look at one of your grid files. The gdinfo header
of the file might help me- here is what the 1x1 degree mrf grid looks like
in gdinfo:
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>r

 GRID FILE: $HDS/99033000_mrf_grid003.gem

 GRID NAVIGATION:
     PROJECTION:          CED
     GRID SIZE:          360 181
     LL CORNER:             -90.00      0.00
     UR CORNER:              90.00     -1.00

 GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
      UNKNOWN ANALYSIS TYPE

 Number of grids in file:  4054

The pmsl grids for the mrf are gvcord=NONE and glevel=0.

If you want to ftp a grid in question, you can stick it in the
~gbuddy/incoming directory.

A little clueless here...

Steve Chiswell