19990217: Access information for GEMPAK/N-AWIPS

>From: address@hidden (Chris Herbster)

>As I was instructed to do, I'm requesting the login info so that we
>might download the GEMPAK and McIDAS softwares.
>
>If you'd prefer to provide this info by phone, please call 904.226.6444.
>

>Thanks!!
>
>Chris Herbster
>Assist. Prof.
>ERAU
>
>address@hidden
>address@hidden

Chris,

The freely available software (eg LDM, NetCDF, etc) is available via our
anonymous ftp server at ftp.unidata.ucar.edu under the pub/ directory.
See our WWW page for more information on downloading and installing those
packages.
When you have installed the LDM software and are ready to be assigned a
feed site to receive your data from, you will send a message to
address@hidden.

Here is the information for GEMPAK/N-AWIPS version 5.4:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

download the file: nawips-5.4/gempakupc_pl8.tar.gz

Patch level 8 is the most recent tar file distribution.

Unpack the tarfile in a clean directory with:
gunzip -c upc_pl8.tar.gz | tar xvf -

In the top level directory, edit the Gemenviron file and
define the NAWIPS environmental variable to be the top
level directory you unpacked the distribution in.
Once you have edited the Gemenviron file, source
the contents in your csh with "source Gemenviron".

Now, build with:
cd $NAWIPS   # should be in that directory already
make all >& make.out &

you can watch the make log with:
tail -40f make.out

If make suceeds, install with:
make install

Finally:
make clean

More information on Installing GEMPAK is found on the gempak WWW
pages at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.4/release_notes.html

GEMPAK uses a default visual of 8 bit pseudocolor. You must have
that configuration.

I don't recall from the AMS what OS you were going to install under-
the distribution is already configured to build under all of our
supported platforms. For Linux, you will need f2c as the fortran compiler
installed. The configuration for Solaris X86 for intel is set for
using Sun's fortran compiler.

There are also binary distributions for linux and x86 available under
the ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary directory, which can simply be
unpacked- and define the appropriate directory locations locally
in the Gemenviron file.

You will probably want to sign up for the various email lists, especially
for being notified about software updates and data stream changes/outages.
You can register for email lists at: