19990218: gpfront...

Maureen,

I have repacked the gpfront code with fixes for the NWS changes.
Hopefully things stay put the way they are now.

The gpfront code is in ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/contrib/gpfront.tar.Z

download the tarfile to $NAWIPS and unpack with
zcat gpfront.tar.Z | tar xvf -

then build with:
cd $NAWIPS/unidata/programs/gpfront
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

The topo images can be displayed an any mapping programs so long as
proj=sat. Eg, the topo images are AREA files just like the McIDAS
satellite images. Since they are the same as satellite images, they
require the same number of colors as a GOES-10 image would- 128 colors.
Define the topo file with satfil=... and set clear=y to display the
image with the fronts/contours etc overlayed.

If you are having trouble with color allocation, launch ntl first
if you don't already have that running. Ntl will either allocate all the colors
you will need, or tell you howmany you need. If you don't have enough
colors, try launching ntl with the -s option to reduce the number of
satellite colors- for instance, ntl -s 96 or ntl -s 64.

Steve Chiswell