19990215: GEMPAK output

>From: address@hidden

>Can GEMPAK (or GARP) produce an animation sequence which can be viewed
>in other software other than GEMPAK?  For example, could it create
>video in MPEG format?  I know GEMPAK can create animated sequences of
>satellite images, for example, but I do not know if it can output the
>animation in another format readable by another type of program.
>
>Donna Tucker                      http://chinook.phsx.ukans.edu/tucker.html
>address@hidden      Department of Physics and Astronomy
>(785) 864-4738 (new area code!)    University of Kansas
>(785) 864-5262 (fax)               Lawrence, KS  66045-2151

Donna,

You can ouput images to gif format which can be used for loops of
animated gifs for web browsers such as is shown in the lightning example at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/lightning/lightning.html

Gif sequences can also be converted into MPEGS with mpeg_encode or
ImageMagick. Examples are shown at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/www/www.html

Ntrans can also be used to animate images created with the nc (metafile) driver.

Steve Chiswell